Wednesday 27 June 2012

Members Post - Michelle Moore

Michelle is one of the members of Y.A.R.G here at Bluewater. She is also in charge over at The Bookclub Forum, so make sure you check that out!

 Here she is to tell us why she loves YA and what started her love of the genre.....


So here I am, fast approaching 40 (shh!) and I’ve developed a love of the YA genre. Why? Well, first of all, they were sadly lacking when I was a teen. My local library was a big one, with a large children’s section, but a teeny teenage one. I soon worked my way through, and moved onto the likes of Stephen King. So, it’s nice to go back and read what was missing then. Also, I started off looking at YA books with a view to picking the good ones for my children.

However, once I started picking up some YA books, I realised what they had to offer. Despite popular views, YA is not childish, simplistic or dumbed down. Nor is it only about teenage angst or sparkly vampires!



 

The thing is, within the YA umbrella, you will find all kinds of genre’s covered – there are horrors and thrillers, romances, contemporary, and paranormal, to name but a few. Some may be fairly ‘safe’ in their content, whilst others will handle difficult issues. Some are written with younger teens in mind, whilst others have content to appeal to all ages. There really is something for everyone.



The other thing I’ve discovered is that there’s a vibrant community out there, of YA writers and readers. There’s a wealth of review blogs, and the people on Twitter have been very friendly... as have the YA book group at Waterstones! J



Some of my YA recommendations are:







The Body Finder Series by Kimberley Derting


Thank you Michelle!


You can find all of these books on the Waterstones.com website or pop into our Bluewater store. We have most of them there too!


See you next post :0)
Kaylie x

No comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, write your thoughts down! :-)